14 August 2014

The independence dilemma!!

Hi guys, My friend and I were shopping at the V & A waterfront. I happened to see these jeans at topshop which I always wanted for the longest of time but could not afford. So I said to her I will ask my boyfriend to subsidize them. The jeans cost R645, which was way too much above my asking price. I said I will ask the boyfriend to help me pay for half of them. We then ended talking about how lucky I was that I have a man that supports me etc. I was a bit offended at the time that I sounded like a dependent women who cannot get her own. But then as I had a conversation with my alter-ego she asked me what got me so offended and worked up about it. My response was that I am fully qualified professional with a full time paying job. I pay my own bills and all that. I am as independent as any of the other ladies out there. But what truly got to me was the idea that asking for help from my boyfriend would be frowned upon by feminists. All I wanted were some topshop jeans. Yes they are a want not a need but still the thought of not having them would haunt me for the longest of time. I ended up getting the jeans on my savings for my December holidays just to ease my conscious. But I realize that my actions were purely based on what my friend said. I guess the problem becomes when do I ask for things and when do I do things for myself. Jeans are not a necessity and I am not this man’s wife. He has no obligation to buy me jeans or food for that matter. I never ask him for anything of this nature but after so many years of being with him, I imagined I would just down right say I need a denim subsidy for the month. My ego would want to pay it back and such but my pocket won’t let me because I truly cannot afford to. Maybe then I should not go into stores like topshop because they are above my means. Or maybe I should learn to eat noodles and beans and look fabulous in my jeans. So ladies please talk to me on your views on the matter. Worth it or not?


1 comment:

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *