28 April 2015

Freedom Day: How Are You Using Yours???

Hi guys. Yesterday I spent the day with my boyfriend and his friends in Khayelitsha, see post about the place here. When I spend time with them I always see a bunch of people that are genuinely happy to live life and celebrate friendship.

For me when I see people like them, I understand what it means to have freedom. To be a young person in this country and have the freedom to choose your path. To have the ability to hang out with your boys or girls without feeling threatened or worried. These freedoms may seem like the norm but they are things that black people did not have just a mere 10 or so years before.

They have coined the term “intellectual swag” in their vocabulary. I guess it simply means that with the freedom of having all they have, there comes the responsibility to work hard for that freedom. To freely pursue being an intellect and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

With all the crazy happening in our country and so many things that threaten our freedom as a nation, we should all take the responsibility to work hard and damn-it play hard. Many young men and women never had the freedom to be “intellectually swag” 21 years ago. But today be inspired by others. Seek help and mentoring. The inspiration you seek is many of the time having a beer in the same bar, but because it comes in black skin, you cease your freedom to take advantage and ask how.

It’s up to you to use your freedom. Will you seek your own swag? Study, party, play and enjoy life. Use the freedom of youth to your advantage. I hope you had a goood one. How did you spend yours???


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *