16 March 2015

Design Indaba 2015

Hi Guys. The 2015 Design Indaba came & went. The festival started on Friday the 20th February to Sunday the 1st March. The design indaba started as an online publication (designindaba.com) which then led to their annual festival. My description of it is a place where people from many creative backgrounds meet to & showcase their work. To avoid plaigarising or not satisfactorily describing it, read here.

While I was there, the creative within me was both satisfied and yearned for more. Young and old, known & unknown, established & starting up artisans from all walks of life were under one roof. I was there more for the fashion. I mean where else do you pay R80 for a whole day of fashion shows. There were food trucks inside so food wise I was sorted. There were also stands showcasing student designers & their work. This got me thinking how hard it is for designers to sell their products in the mainstream market. I spoke briefly to Lukhanyo Mdingi about his work & how hard his journey has been. As an aspiring designer I wondered if there are enough platforms for young designers to get their products out there.

The exhibits I was most anxious to see were those of
Laduma Ngxokolo’s knitwear exhibit.
Trvevor Stuurman’s photographic exhibition
Thabo Makhetha’s Kobo Ea Bohali Coats
Lukhanyo Mdingis designs
Catherine Pitchulik

If you are a fashion enthusiast like me then you recognise the names above & some of their work. I figured it takes a lot to get cracking in this fashion game & one must really want it bad to get it. I for one was very inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *